Thursday, November 29, 2007

Lunchtime Poll


So, this is what's called a Lunchtime Poll. Our topic - manners when calling a business. When you call a business do you immediately ask "Is this Laura?" (assuming you're looking for Laura. You could also be looking for Monty or Colin or perchance Steve in which case you would subsitute those names for that of Laura.) of the soul who happens to be on the other end of the line? More direct example, when someone answers the phone with their business name, say, "Arnold Drummond's Goldfish Emporium", and you are looking for their top tank salesman, Chuck, do you respond with, "Hello. May I speak with Chuck?", or do you just utter "Chuck" quizzically?

Please select the letter that best corresponds with your personal style:
A. I ask for the person with whom I wish to speak because I am a rational, and may I add, polite, person.
B. I just blurt out the name of the person with whom I wish to speak because your societal rules do not apply to me. I am a busy, busy person and these full sentences you opt to use are simply wasting my time.

4 comments:

DJ SK said...

A., all the way. I may be described as blunt or rude at times, but I stand by my phone etiquette.

KC said...

"A" for me also. You may know that I answer phones for a living. 99% of the calls I answer are "A" people. The other 1% are people who think I am voice-mail and start entering the extension number they want. We get a good laugh when they realize they have to actually speak with a real person.

D said...

C. I first send a warning email including the person's name I wish to talk to. Then, while taking the bus there I text my ETA. When I arrive at the Emporium, I walk around looking at people's name tags until I realize that Chuck doesn't work on Tuesdays.

T2 said...

A.

But while we're talkin' business phone stuff, I hate it when someone leaves me their call back number so fast that I have to play back the message over and over until I confirm I've got it all.

Rule of thumb: When leaving a phone number on voicemail, write it as you speak it. That's about the right pace.